Ye Gods is Oracle Internet Directory some arcane, byzantine software. I've spent the past few days at work, in between other projects, trying to get OID online.
Keep in mind, we're only using OID to resolve Oracle service names. Until now, the Oracle Names Server has done a great job at that. Relatively easy to configure, straight forward to maintain... no worries.
Naturally, this had to change. We're more blunt edge than bleeding edge at work, but even we have to drag ourselves shambling into the modern era... and in the modern era the names server has been relegated to the dustbin. Oracle 10g and higher clients just won't talk to it.
So, with the go ahead from our management that the licensing was worked out, I downloaded the software, brought out the manuals and had at it. How hard could it be, right?
Translating the Necronomicon from ancient Arabic seems trivial by comparison. A full second Oracle instance is required, along with another HTTP server and Oracle Applications server. Then, once all that is set up, one can get OID working. Unless you can't, since the provided documentation is bollocks. The classic moment was when the test to confirm connectivity worked, but the actual command didn't and complained of invalid credentials. Yes, I used the same credentials both times.
Kudos to Dizwell Informatics. His write up on Oracle Internet Directory and it's associated processes is well worth a read if you, like I, found the Oracle documentation lacking. Thanks to his notes, I now have a working OID instance ( at least in test ) that's serving up service names via LDAP.